View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
Cosmic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveness23 View Post
I JUST signed up for this forum and am about to purchase Reaper. I'm curious to see how this thread goes and if it turns into a pissing match like so many other forums I have observed. I'm hopeful that this stays civil.

I personally use Windows 7 x64 on a 2ish year old laptop and am quite happy with it. I ONLY use music software that comes with identical versions for PC/Mac so I can move platform without much hassle if I am so inclined. Given this, there is extraordinary little difference and I think it comes down to personal preference.

There are a couple of things I think the Mac handles slightly better but it is mostly based on hear-say and Mac vs PC hear-say is usually so laden with personal bias that its hard to really judge the truth. It is my understanding that audio latency is a bit better on the Mac but the demands I place on my machine are pretty modest so I'm not ready to abandon ship just for that. The real feature that Mac supposedly has that that Windows simply does not have is the built in ability to create an aggregated audio device in the audio control panel on the Mac. I've got a ton of audio input devices that I want to be able to use simultaneously and even using the beloved ASIO4All driver it is a pretty weak experience on Windows. I'm not ready to fork out an additional grand or more so I sadly do without.
Welcome to the forum and REAPER!

Great first post.

Yeah,the MACS handling of audio does seem to be more sophisticated these days..I forgot about that.Lower achievable latencies etc.At a price though.Which,had I the money,I dare say I might've gone with.But alas I'm broke.I'd like one of each to be fair.