Thread: Recording Live
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 12:05 AM   #41
serr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
In fact WiFi never can't be considered a safe connection. There are too many devices around that can disturb the wireless transfer. Especially OSC is prone to damage,m as it is not TCP, but USP based (no retry if an IP package is lost) .

That is why I use LAN cable whenever possible. Of course the CR18 does feature a LAN (RJ45) socket.

If you really need WiFI, you should use a high quality dedicated router (e.g. three antenna) box.

-Michael
I'm still using a Linksys WRT54G with a 1W booster for my rig.
9 times out of 10 I have zero lags up to 300' away from the stage where my rack lives. Antenna is on a 10' boom mast. That 10% though... Got to admit it happens! (Wonder what a 50W or more booster might do? Price sure goes up! Would it help though or just add to a wall of noise?) Can't exactly roam the room if I'm leashed so I'm committed to wi-fi.

Both friends said they've never had any issue in clubs (probably no more than 100') with an off the shelf router with the X32. The OSC stuff is just a very light weight back and forth of MIDI data.

I really need to get off my lazy ass and incorporate OSC into my rig since it literally requires no more hardware. I kind of want to rip off the template they use on the M32/X32 too.

I was thinking for a second the XR18 could be an instant little B rig for $500... Oh well.

Not doing too many live gigs these days though either. Got burnt out and pissed off.

Last edited by serr; 01-29-2019 at 12:12 AM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote