View Single Post
Old 07-14-2020, 06:13 AM   #10
Soli Deo Gloria
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Yeah it's funny how an improper file can screw things up... but glad it was my fault and not reaper's. :-)

Good to know it, Clepsydrae!

Quote:
It feels pretty close to done already, to me.

Yes, there are minor things here and there. More on the side of nitpicks, I think. I have found mainly UI things scattered around...

Quote:
In my secret heart, one of the devs has been secretly toiling away in the background for months developing a "miracle bridge" that makes windows VSTs work in linux with none of the current complexity and somehow-even-though-it-seems-totally-impossible-it-just-works. Foolish, I know, but a guy can dream.

I'm not too optimistic in that regard (a native solution), but I think as time passes by and more people comes to this side of computing, VST bridging will be considerably eased and even more native options will appear. I have to admit that Linvst's way is not that hard if you compare it with other Linux things (but Wine itself can be tricky as hell, that's the point).

Of course, I didn't mean to sound ungrateful with the devs regarding things feeling safer with real support. I'm also simply amazed at the possibility of running so many things with a native Reaper. It's of course the anxiety of seeing Reaper for Linux on par with the other versions... Patience will be the key, it seems.

Quote:
I see a fair amount of comments from Justin re: the frustrations of microsoft and apple... I think most people agree that having a thriving linux multimedia ecosystem is a great idea, but there's only so much a couple/few devs can do, I guess.

I think Linux is doing great advances. Part of the devs' community still needs to finally embrace the need of things being easier for the end user. I'm optimistic regarding that, though, given how easier are some aspects of the OS now, compared with not so many years ago.

Apart from some occasional rants, I 've just jumped ship and I'm not going back, except for those things that are still not viable with bridging...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote