View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 08:59 PM   #61
cycosuicide
Human being with feelings

I use Reaper to play backing tracks, to play samples, and Perhaps to run a VSTi like a synth.

Its important to ask yourself what it is exactly you are trying to accomplish. I don't recommend using Reaper for a guitar rig just because you can. What is it you are trying to do exactly? Then figure out a solution.

For me I don't use Reaper as a Live Guitar Rig. I only have one laptop, and to run a reliable and dependable rig, its important to have a dedicated laptop to do so. If you rarely gig, then maybe constant reliability isn't an issue for you.

As far as making things more portable because you don't have to lug an amp and pedalboard, are you sure going all laptop is making things easier? You need an appropriate carrying case/bag for your gear, don't forget your power cable. You need a table or a stand for that laptop. But you also need a decent audio interface which has midi for your footcontroller, the USB cable, and where are you putting the audio interface? on a table or a stand? I wouldn't put these things on the floor.

Oh, and I'd bring some spare USB cables as you never know. Like I said, you have to figure out what it is you are trying to do rather than do it just because you can.

One thing people don't think about is long term. Eventually your computer or your hard drive will die. You'll have to replace it. Or your operating system becomes obsolete. So any third party VSTs may not work. Don't even get me started on iLok.

Perhaps using a laptop and Reaper is great because you get to have nearly unlimited routing and combining VST FX as presets. Unless you are using IEMs, which tend to be consistent in monitoring, every room will sound different. Every monitoring system will sound different. You have to tune your guitar rig and its FX to the room. That's just a fact of life. Is it easier for you to mouse around to change some settings, or easier to turn a physical knob?

Lastly, I want you to consider one thing in terms of guitar gear. I bought a Lexicon MPX-1 back in 1999. It still works, and I still dig in and program wonderful FX and sounds on it. No software updates, no operating systems, nothing. It just works and has done so for nearly 20 years. I had a Triaxis and 2:90 amp setup for nearly 20 years. Yes I did have to change out Power tubes (which was expensive), but it always worked. Bought a Lexicon PCM 81 last year. 20 year old product and its an amazing piece of gear. What VST FX from 1997 still works on today's modern computer without having been updated.

So I use an actual guitar rig because of reliability, and I know that if my laptop should somehow fail or simply not turn on at all that night, I can still make music because my guitar rig will work. Oh and at home? Turn on the amp and practice. I don't have to wait for my laptop to turn on, and my file to load so then I can play.

What works for me and what I'm trying to accomplish may not work for you. But really consider and think about what it is you are trying to do. Ultimately it doesn't matter what anybody in this forum says. The only way for you to truly know, is to go do it.

So if you do play some gigs using just the laptop, let us know how that goes. I'd love to hear about it.
cycosuicide is offline   Reply With Quote