View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #130
Tod
Human being with feelings

Default Play/Stop, Pause..(a better way)

I don't know about the rest of you but there's a few things that bug me about the way the default SpaceBar (Start/Stop) and Enter (Pause) work.

Often I'll be playing along and hear something that I want to check but instead of hitting the Enter key to Pause, I hit the SpaceBar again without thinking. Or, on the other hand, if I do stop to think and hit the Enter key to pause, I then lose the original position of the Edit cursor.

A good friend of mine, Robert Villwock a.k.a Big Bob, has come up with a set of macros to change all that and I think these are excellent, they work very well.

You can download the KeyMap here, it also includes a short pdf written by Big Bob:

https://stash.reaper.fm/15355/BB_Play-Stop-Continue.rar

Here are the custom macros, the macro name is blue and the bracketed text is the Short-cut Key I use.
-----------------------------------
BB_Play/Stop [Space] - This macro will work just like the current SpaceBar action works. If stopped it will play and if playing it will stop playback and return the cursor to the playback start location. NOTE: This macro must be used instead of the standard Play/Stop action in order for the remaining macros to work properly.
SWS: Save loop selection, slot 5
Loop points: Set end point
Transport: Play/stop
Loop points: Set start point
SWS: Save loop selection, slot 4
SWS: Restore loop selection, slot 5
BB_LastStop [Enter] - When stopped, this macro will move the cursor to the location where you last stopped playback. In other words you don't have to use "Pause" any more, after you hit Play to stop, you can hit Enter to go to where you stoped playback. I really like this.
SWS: Restore loop selection, slot 4
Go to to end of loop
BB_LastStart [Ctrl-Enter] - When stopped, this macro will move the cursor to the location you last started playback.
SWS: Restore loop selection, slot 4
Go to to start of loop

BB_Continue [Alt-Space] - If stopped, this macro will start playback from the last stop point. If playing, this macro will stop playback and return the cursor to the start point (the same as BB_Play/Stop).
Custom: BB_LastStop
Custom: BB_Play/Stop

Remember, the BB_Play/Stop must be used before the other custom actions will work.

Also in order to make these macros work in the Midi Editor you'll have to assign the shortcut keys you use to "Misc: Pass through key to main winddow".

(02/11/2013) Here is a slight addendum>>==================
Due to interference from a particular Preference setting, Big Bob has added another custom action to be used with this setting. Preferences>Editing Behavior>Move edit cursor to start of time selection on time selection change

Further explanation can be found here:
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...3&postcount=24

You can download the BB_Play/Stop+ KeyMap below and add it to your Action List to use instead of the original BB_Play/Stop.

https://stash.reaper.fm/15525/BB_PlayStop%2B.zip

Last edited by Tod; 02-14-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote