View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #16
Peevy
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Interesting comment about AMD's Radeon being natively supported in Linux. I did not know that and have seen massive failures using nVidia's drivers for Linux. Change out a failing nVidia based video card with another and got things so effed up on my MythTV server that it took a re-install to fix it.

Yes it's definitely very convenient having the AMD GPU driver built into the kernel. The open source driver is also meant to perform much better for gaming than the proprietary pro driver. But if your using anything like Blender that uses the GPU for rendering you may need the pro driver. There is a workaround in using opencl-amd which is just the opencl part of the pro driver that works alongside the opensource driver. It works well with Blender but I can't get the free version of Davinci Resolve to work with it.

The only other thing to be careful of if you go AMD GPU is that if it's a reasonably newly released card it may not run as well with current kernel but this is usually quickly rectified when a newer kernel is released.