View Single Post
Old 08-19-2018, 08:50 PM   #16
osxmidi
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
If I forget about midi and only do audio, Jack set for 24-bit 44.1k using 64 samples latency and two buffers gets me 1.4/2.9ms in REAPER, and I can record just fine with no artifacts, pops, or clicks.

I got LinVST working and have spent the morning doing A/B tests between it and Airwave. This is what I've found so far.

LinVST will let me run at 256 samples, but only when not much else is going on. Loading my test song that I posted earlier, I can play it at 256, but it has artifacts in the audio. Increasing it to 512, LinVST plays that song as well as using Airwave.

The other thing I've noticed is that one of the synths I used in my song does NOT get it's patch parameters set properly when using LinVST, but does when using Airwave. If I select the patch that it is already on when using LinVST, all the dials on the synth change to their proper values for the patch, but don't switch upon loading the song like they do with Airwave.

In summary, LinVST is a little more efficient, and won't hang REAPER up, even when latency is set lower than it can play without artifacts, where Airwave will hang REAPER up with anything less than 512 samples of latency on my system.

LinVST did not dial up the parameters correctly on one synth, although it did fine on all others. Airwave does dial up the parameter on the synth properly when performing the same test.

I've got it setup so I can instantly switch between Airwave and LinVST by having two .vst folders with the same group of plugins in each. I'm just renaming the folders so that whichever one currently has the .vst name, that will be the VST host I'm currently using.

The next thing I plan to try is some midi plugins that don't have to jump through the WINE hoop. I'm betting I can run those at real low latency without having to get WINE involved.

The whole reason I even setup this dual boot machine was to get all internet related stuff out of Windows in preparation for January 2020. I have zero desire to run Windows 10, so when support for Windows 7 ends in 2020, I plan to be as free from Windows as possible. If by then I don't have REAPER as functional as it is in Windows 7, I'll still have Windows 7 that I can boot up and just not have it connected to the internet any longer.

It's looking less and less like I will need to dual boot in 2020 though, because I can already do in Linux about 90% of what I do in Windows with REAPER. I'm missing a few nice commercial plugins and have higher latency, but only when using midi with WINE as a bridge.
Seeing that you are using a Ubuntu try the Liquorix kernel https://liquorix.net/

Open a terminal and enter

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:damentz/liquorix && sudo apt-get update

and then

sudo apt-get install linux-image-liquorix-amd64 linux-headers-liquorix-amd64

and reboot

The stock kernels are not the greatest for audio and the Liquorix kernel is probably a better option.

Another thing is installing rtirq https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=rtirq-init

Download the appropriate deb file and then open a terminal and enter

sudo dpkg -i rtirq-init_xxxxxx.deb

I've got the same M-Audio Delta 24/96 cards and they can be ok with the right kernel and rtirq and realtime jack.

I've also got a M-Audio Revolution 7.1 in an i7 and Windows 10 and I can't seem to get less than 8ms input latency when recording using asio/wasapi but playback can go much lower.

Recording with things like LinVst is probably not going to as good as playback.

What synth is LinVst having problems with?, I'll look into it.

Last edited by osxmidi; 08-19-2018 at 09:06 PM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote