View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 03:49 AM   #11
scottdru
Human being with feelings

Charles,

Monster Cables are simply overpriced. They are good cables, but they are not so good that they are worth the extra money you pay for them.

Hosa cables are basically cheap crap . . . they tend to go bad more quickly, and the connectors oxidize more quickly (which will tend to cause deterioration of the sound), as they are cheaply plated. That's my experience anyway.

Basically, if you get decent quality Canare, Mogami, Belden, etc. cable, with good quality connectors (Neutrik, Switchcraft, etc.), you'll be in good shape.

I buy all my cable from Redco Audio -- I generally buy the raw Mogami cable and Neutrik connectors -- and solder my own. I gotta tell ya . . . I HIGHLY recommend the guys at Redco. They are good guys to deal with, their prices are the best I've found anywhere, and they ship quickly. They will also build cables for you to your specs.

http://www.redco.com/

Give them a shout and compare their prices for the cables they build with the prices for Mogami cables anywhere else, and I would bet they'll be cheaper.

They do Canare cable as well, and they also have their own private label "Redco Audio" cable . . . and, to be honest, while I haven't tried it myself, from looking at the pics of their cable on their website, it wouldn't surprise me if it was the exact same cable as Mogami, just rebadged.

To tell you the truth, one of the main reasons I use Mogami wire over Belden (or other similar brands) is that the cable is designed in such a way that it is easy to work with when you are building your own cables.

Another way to save some buckage if you are looking to get a bunch of patch cables to connect all the stuff in your rack, is to get multi-core cable (Redco have this as well) and build (or have Redco build) a multi-channel snake. That's what I did. Cheaper than using all individual patch cables.
scottdru is offline   Reply With Quote