View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 07:40 PM   #101
Xaos
Human being with feelings

Can you help me with a request that will be great for us all?

I've asked Chris if he would make a plugin that does what Sonarworks Reference tries to do but fails. The big problem with Reference is that all the corrective EQ curves are based on objective sound analysis and don't take the listener's hearing into account.

There is an online grey noise generator that does this. The only one used to be on mynoise.net here:
https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/gr...eGenerator.php

This is great because it takes the room, your equipment, and hearing into account when generating a true grey noise.

We need something similar for our monitors and headphones when mixing, but this is only 10 bands.

Christopher "Monty" Montgomery, the inventor of OGG and an acoustic genius, probably knows exactly which frequencies would be important based on the tuning of the hairs in the cochlea and how many bands would be needed to make an accurate calibration curve for each individual's hearing, room, equipment, etc. Chris Johnson could pretty easily write a plugin that would make the adjustments with the minimum of phase shifting, pre-ringing, and artifacts.

I'd really like to get a bunch of people from here, gearslutz, and similar communities to request this plugin an offer some financial support for it. Reference is a good idea, but they miss the mark in a lot of ways.

I think this would be an invaluable plugin and would really get Airwindows a lot of attention. Who wouldn't want this? Does anyone have any suggestions for organizing a campaign to request and fund this? We need it!