Thread: DIY MIDI device
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 02:16 AM   #19
Gerrit
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
That is perfectly nice but it's just software and not at all depending on the hardware. It should be doable with any board that provides an USB OTG socket.

-Michael
Sure it is possible to do this with other boards but the whole point of the Teensy is to take care of the really low level stuff for you. The Teensyduino install also contains a lot of really useful libraries for creating hardware controllers.

Quote:
Was chatting with someone over on the Arduino forums and i am thinking the hardest part is going to be when i get to the passing Reaper info to the device so i can get the track info and arm toggle for that specific track.
Just opened up Reaper before to have a look and there doesn't seem to be a MIDI learn option for specific tracks although there is the option with custom actions to be able to arm said track number.
To get track info from Reaper you could emulate a Mackie Control. I used this approach for my controller before I switched to using OSC in stead of MIDI.
The code for the MIDI controller is linked in this post in the thread on the motorfader panel. Getting at the track info takes some doing because of the way the Mackie protocol works. Because I now use OSC for my controller I'm not really up to speed as to what options there are to get track data over MIDI.
My sequencer just receives note events for transposing and step recording, no track info. The OSC controller receives detailed track info, see this thread on the Teensy forum.
Gerrit is offline   Reply With Quote