View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #17
kelp
Human being with feelings

OK, I'm losing my grasp here (again)...

Yep just stated that gaining up/down within REAPER isn't going to affect sound quality. But haven't points been previously made about "plug in headroom?"

I'd like to be sure my OP was understood. There's a subtext there that no matter what the input, having lower track levels will make the final mix "better." This is consistent with yep's claim that better results have been seen when doing a "-20dBFS" mix compared to the same (implied) "0dBFS" mix.

Here's what I'm trying to remove from my brain -- that there's a simple technique or rule that will magically make all my mixes sound better.

I see three general headroom areas: a) the input, which seems to be the simplest to understand (don't push the A/Ds); b) plug ins, which seem to be a huge variable; and c) the final master or D/A, which still kind of confuses me because is all lost when the final mix succumbs to the loss of dynamics and maximized level in the holy loudness war?

Beingmf and PitchSlap seem to be saying, yes, this simple rule makes a difference. Lawrence is saying get it right going in. And Yep may or may not be saying watch the front end and the back end and use your ears in the middle.

I'm going to be a broken record here, but holy crap you people are awesome. I feel like I'm quivering on the edge of some new understanding. Some "new" understanding that's existed for decades...

THANK YOU!

P.S. -- Yep, I didn't include the audio file but gave a link at the beginning of the post to Katz's site, my source. Sorry, I should have highlighted that.