View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #28
azslow3
Human being with feelings

Thank you for detailed reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tparker24 View Post
Great program!

Here are a few observations I had, when converting my first project. This was an all-MIDI project of about 12 tracks, from SONAR (Producer 8.5), to the latest Reaper (5.70):

1. The order of tracks was completely different. I had to move them all back to the original order. I used Reaper Track Manager.
That is by intention. I have to mirror Sonar way to work with MIDI to Reaper. So I have decided to put MIDI tracks under corresponding Synth tracks. But since I do explicit routing, reordering tracks does not change the signal route.

Quote:
2. My project played MUCH slower. The tempos (and their changes) were all correct, and I did not get any errors on the conversion.

I think the reason is that in SONAR my TPQN (Ticks Per Quarter Note, as specified in Project Options->Clock) is always set to 600 (not the more usual 960, due to personal preference). I also had this set to 600 in Reaper (Preferences->Media->MIDI->Ticks per quarter note), so it was 600 in both programs.

My work-around was to change the TPQN to 960 in SONAR, and then re-do the conversion. (I kept TPQN at 600 in Reaper). This fixed the problem.
I have not tested anything except 960. My fault.

Quote:
3. My tracks were not routed to any MIDI devices. This is probably unavoidable, since the (friendly) device names may not be the same between SONAR and Reaper.

To change the routing for Devices, I used Reaper's Routing Matrix. And for Channels, I used the Routing icon in TCP, for each track.
Yes, I have decided it is not worse the effort and can be confusing (in case names do not match). Also Sonar 7 does not save MIDI devices names into CWP, not sure 8.5 does.

Quote:
4. My MIDI FX were not converted, but this is probably un-avoidable. I had SONAR FX Velocity, and Frank's MIDI Humanizer.
Sonar support MFX (DX) MIDI plug-ins only, Reaper does not support them. Theoretically can be done explicitly for particular plug-ins, but low in priority at the moment.

Quote:
5. To adjust various MIDI settings, I had to install the FX ReaControlMIDI on every track, and adjust appropriately (most importantly, Bank/Program Select, and Volume).

6. SONAR Markers didn't come across.
Planned, but not yet there.

Quote:
Sorry, if these may have already been reported; or if they are just user error!
If user can make an error, that is programmers fault
But in this case you have found one bug and notice incompleteness of current alpha. So I do not see any "user errors". Thanks again.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote