View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 05:04 AM   #13
osxmidi
Human being with feelings

I've got a Linux version of LinVst on a github branch where a Linux vst can be loaded and run under LinVst and it has the same forking a child process and context switches etc as the LinVst Wine vst version does.

So a rough comparison can be made about overheads between Wine run vst's run under LinVst and native Linux vst's run under LinVst and also a comparison between native Linux vst's run under LinVst and Linux native vst's running as usual with no LinVst in sight.

The overheads seem to be coming mostly from Wine and not that much of the overhead seems to be coming from LinVst's context switches or futex signalling or shared memory as far as I can make out but LinVst would have some overhead.

Wine has to translate all the Windows visual stuff through who knows how many libraries and run the floating point code etc and I'm not sure what priorities they are using for all of that (I'm not talking about wineserver priorities) but I suspect that they play it safe.

I'm not an expert on Wine internals so I'm just speculating but it's no real surprise that Wine would have overheads and it's a wonder it works as well as it does in many cases or that it works at all.

Last edited by osxmidi; 04-18-2019 at 05:34 AM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote