View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #3
vdubreeze
Human being with feelings

Thanks, Kundalinguist. I appreciate your response.

Right now we're going by the manufacturers' category of "gaming" laptops, for better or worse, as they begin with better graphics than the shared graphics on standard use laptops. And we're skipping over the lower end MX250 cards to start with, although if limiting it to one she can carry around all day all over campus that's pretty much the card in any 13" with discrete card for under $2000. Then again, the kind of video work for her own projects will benefit from a discrete card but won't really need the kind of video performance a hardcore gamer computer delivers, so it may suffice. Some of the ones we looked at veered into smaller 15" territory and some were pretty light but for the most part they crossed the line of all day portability.

My eyes were opened to some of the much less expensive 13" Windows laptops that felt pretty good, so we may decide a new $500 very portable one in time for the start of the semester a week away and a 15" serious one when the dust has settled.

Thanks for the tip about Blender users. I will see what they're saying over there : )