View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 08:39 AM   #11
sai'ke
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
Thanks Sai'ke!

I haven't tested Tone Stack yet, nor am I sure I have a use for it, but it occurred to me that it might be cool to have an invert or 'subtract' mode. Might be interesting.

Perhaps that idea could even be combined into one plugin by having a 'subtract' drop-down box (with no controls, no graph)?

Cheers!
Yeah I mean, basically they're just parametric EQ's with a bit of an unusual shape and phase distortion. I saw these diagrams and was just curious how they would sound. Besides, it was a nice practice to set up a little script that converted the analog filter expressions to BLT digital ones, and before I knew it I had a JSFX again.

Hmm, invert? You mean pass the audio through the tonestack, then subtract the filtered result from the incoming audio? I mean, I can do that, no problem. Might get some phase issues though (comb-filter like effects) as tone stacks result in phase distortion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaMike View Post
Cool. I'll be lurking.
OT: there is a ":" in front of your Author name for Hackey Trackey which prevents it from being grouped with the rest of your work.
Cool and thanks for the heads up. I will edit that asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
Seems not very special. But it creates an amazing 3D placing effect. Its like pushing a signal back from you with a lot of clarity. Maybe its a psycho acoustic effect. I don't know.

It probably isn't as interesting for Filther as I thought but its nice you checked it with your tools. Did you hear what I meant about it? This strange atomized/pulverized/vaporized distortion? It sounds like 100 tiny layered amounts of distortion. Have no idea how to describe it better.

Anyway. Thanks for taking a look.

And now I will ping pong between your threads.
I heard some strong high-mid boosting and mild squashing, but I only ran it on a saturated 808 and then only test tones. Any input source I should go with? How much do you drive it in your audio sample? Maybe you have a short with/without sample for me?

I mean, it could just be that specific gain curve. I mean, what I can do is measure it, fit it with a little model and put it in a jsfx and see if it replicates that effect for you.

Short term plans:
- Change the compressor time axes to logarithmic, but still using a lower bound which prevents artefacts for low frequencies.
- Add a separate version named unsafe tight compressor here, which will not have the lower bound (that one you can use for your distortion Eliseat).
- Add the compressor to Squashman