View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 06:12 PM   #18
MikComposer
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
That's a thought that crossed my mind.

Possibly $$ --- if they sell a few units, it'll make a big difference towards their bottom line.

Nagra is well known, and has been for decades, for manufacturing expensive but high quality audio recording devices that were, and are, used on film sets. They are expensive, several thousand $$, but well built, and take many different audio inputs; they are robust and won't break down; and audio recording professionals swear by them.

Paying $3,000 for an essential piece of equipment makes perfect sense to me; paying $60k for a pre amp for a home stereo system does not. But then again, the people which they are targeting maybe have a different perspective. If you can afford a $1 million Ferrari, and $500 bottles of wine for dinner, what is more cool than to impress your friends with the latest and greatest: the ultimate pre-amp?
Two years ago I was an extra in King Arthur, a WB production, and I could see how much money went in to it, by looking at the sets, crew, extras and cast. Also heard rumor later on that they were spending $2mln/day. And I'm pretty sure that in compare to something like Harry Potter it was modest budget. Those are the people that are the target audience for that kind of gear. I'd buy it, if it would sound really good and had money for it, also because gear like that is super reliable.