View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #13
ashcat_lt
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Also, i understand the room/enviroment and good/bad treatement that this affects things.
My question is about EQ only straight up, so forget about the other factors for now.
Just emagine i am in the studio of perfection, im only asking about the use of an EQ.
No bas adding for the recording, just the missing knob EQ for the speakers itself at the final stage and what EQ or method would be the best.
Yeah, cool. Add all the bass you want.

The best method would be to use speakers that can actually reproduce those low frequencies that you're looking for. 60Hz is really difficult for about any nearfield monitor you might pick up. You can sort of fake it by pushing more power at that frequency (like you're doing with your eq), but it will only go so far... So, yeah, I think the best solution is just plain bigger speakers.

Next best is hard to say.

Adding a sub has advantages and disadvantages. It will definitely get you more bass, and probably give you finer control over that low end content.

And monitor EQ is a perfectly reasonable way to do it also. Please don't be cavalier about what those speakers can "handle" though. I'd imagine they're safe with anything you can give them up to 0dbfs in the DAW, but who knows how far past that they can go? IDK what kind of music you're normally listening to, but a lot of modern commercial music sits right at 0dbfs for most of the time. So then you add 3 or 6db on top of that, and what happens? Something somewhere distorts. Now that might not blow your speakers across the room when listening at reasonable levels, but you'll hear that distortion, and you might end up chasing your tail in mixing or especially mastering when you hear that little crackle and can't find where it's coming from. Worse yet, when you crank up those monitors for the Big Wow, they might actually be in danger of damage. So, I suppose in this case the whole "cut better than boost" is probably your safest bet. A shelving cut above 60, with an LPF somewhere below will do about the same thing you're doing with that boost at 60 in a possibly more "polite" way. This could also be a passive solution, for whatever that's worth.

Of course, that's assuming you're adding a hardware EQ of some sort after your DAC. There's no way that a software EQ can cause you to put out more than 0dbfs (ignoring "intersample overs"), but it definitely can clip the DAC by asking it to try. So, the high shelf/lowpass thing is probably still better than the boost. I would prefer the software method for my own self, because it's so much more flexible, and noiseless, and most importantly because you could use something a bit more sophisticated than what your soundcard manufacturer decided to bundle with their drivers and get linear phase response.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote