View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 06:11 PM   #352
tack
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeavelwyn View Post
Ok, so, here is the proposition (downloading the attachement and copy/paste to markdown editor will help) and sorry for my poor designer qualities :-s
Wow, talk about going above and beyond! Thanks for this really detailed write-up!

The design I'm looking at is pretty similar, at least inasmuch as you have multiple panels. Some of the details are a bit different from what you graciously mocked up, but I'm not sure how important they are from a UX perspective.

It's a bit rough around the edges yet, but here's the current UI for editing the bank-level attributes:

So a few differences here:
  • You click on the bank title at the very top to edit the bank-level attributes (as shown), which then reflects in the right-most panel the bank level fields. This would be the default view when the bank is first created, so the user would be primed to understand that field at the top of the articulations list is interactive. (And when it's not selected, there's a little subtitle that says "click to edit"). I'm a tiny bit apprehensive about this design in terms of discoverability, but I guess we'll see.
  • The articulations list in the left panel represents, more or less, a view of what the bank would look like when realized in Reaticulate's main UI. But from this view you can reorder articulations (by drag-and-drop), delete, or add new.
  • Clicking on an articulation (in the screenshot you can see me hovering over col legno with the mouse which shows the translucent selector arrow, and if I click that, it would then select the articulation and update the right panel with articulation details.

The main difference with what you suggested is actually the additional of a separate panel for the bank list, even further to the left. I was originally thinking of this as a separate screen to manage the overall list, and when you click on an existing bank (or create a new one) it would open the screen as shown above. But I think I'll play with the idea of making the bank list a separate panel. I like that aspect in your mockup.

Thanks again for sharing such detailed thoughts. It's really helpful to get this kind of feedback.
tack is offline   Reply With Quote