View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 05:32 AM   #10
Eliseat
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Normalizing doesn't change the dynamics at all. It just applies a gain change so that the highest peak is set to a given value. No expression is lost.

I think Valle summed it up really; if you need to normalise, do it, if you don't then don't bother. I know that sounds a bit obtuse, but if you don't find yourself thinking "this would be so much easier if these audio files had the same peak level", then don't worry about it. Back in the days of fixed-point DAW internal processing, you could run into problems by normalising, but these days it just doesn't matter one way or another.

As for seeing waveforms more clearly, you can do that non-destructively by using the zoom waveform action (shift + up arrow is default, I believe).

It's also worth remembering that peak values don't necessarily equate to perceived volume, so a peak normalisation isn't the way to go if you want all your audio to start off at the same perceived loudness (but I believe SWS extensions can normalise to RMS or LUFS levels if you want that).
Of course it matters. Sorry, it is no argument to say, everything is fine because nowadays DAWs have no fixed point processing anymore. I listed some arguments. And it would absolutely make no sense to normalize an item to 0db peak level if you need do level it down afterward to avoid hot gain or clipping. And even worse if you suggest it only for one track.
Normalizing to a certain -x db value is of course an good way to start. But this also makes no sense if it only gets applied to one track. (Vocal track) Than everything hits the master track to loud and you have to crank up the slider to get it even. No, that would be a bad decision.

sjs94704, normalizing can help you to set many media items to a good even start level for mixing or working. As I posted above, there are good pro arguments. Plus there are many plugins with input depended qualities which sound just bad with a to high gain. Plus its more easy to lift a master bus level thru a maximizer than trying to keep it calm.

Valle, you don't have to follow the -18db rule exactly, but -3db or -5db - like you said - is in my opinion useless. Why would you do that? Its nearly impossible to work with more then 20 tracks without cranking the sliders down like crazy. I don't get it.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote