View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 06:01 PM   #51
GerardLardner
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
There's also the Oktava MK4012 classic first order 4 channel mic. 799 . Limited edition.
I think that price is without capsules. Budget nearly another 500 for capsules!

I do have an Oktava Ambisonic mic, the old MK-012 4D version. I got it relatively cheap on eBay about 8 or 10 years ago from someone who couldn't use it. The sphere encompassing the capsules is about 98 mm diameter, which makes for poor directional resolution even down to relatively 'mid' frequencies. I have not seen how big the current model is; it might be better (smaller) - can't easily tell from photos on the website; it can't be very small, given the fairly large size of MK-012 capsules.

An issue with the early MK-012 4D is that it uses a non standard Ambisonic layout - effectively turned 90 degrees; I think the DPA Amnisonic mic is the same. Also, it /really/ benefits from being properly calibrated, to compensate a little for the large array size.

All that said, the sound from the Oktava capsules is lovely for classical music, whether choral or orchestral. I still occasionally use it , when directional cues are not so important. But mostly I use a Brahma, for it's better directional resolving power.
GerardLardner is offline   Reply With Quote