View Single Post
Old 06-23-2021, 12:11 PM   #17
mike@overtonedsp
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbert-vdh View Post
Kontakt and a couple of other plugins were consistently crashing on me on shutdown with Wine (Staging) 6.10/6.11 and I've heard similar reports from others, but after trying it again for like the seventh time that now mysteriously doesn't seem to happen anymore. So something's clearly broken, but I also don't know what's going on anymore!
Back around 2006 IIRC I first started trying to run Windows VSTs on Linux (as part of a potential commercial project which was never released) - I wrote something akin to yabridge, I got it working, but, it was never completely stable. It's a continual process of chasing your tail trying to fix bugs with this or that plug-in, and then a new Wine version gets released and more hacks and fixes are necessary to fix all the regressions. I don't mean to be critical, because clearly Yabridge is a great achievement which many will find useful, and I wish you luck with it - but I would caution that the best operating system to run Windows binaries is, and remains - Windows. Surely what we should all be aiming for is greater adoption of native Linux plug-ins (by users and developers)?

Just some thoughts from someone who's been through all this before and to whom all the issues, 15 years later, seem horribly familiar. Good luck (and I suspect you will need it...)

Last edited by mike@overtonedsp; 06-23-2021 at 12:22 PM.
mike@overtonedsp is offline   Reply With Quote