View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #11
Peterk312
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kihoalu View Post
Aloha,

...Put the two speakers face-to-face with just an inch or two between them. Feed them both a signal that has lots of bass (or use a bass tone). Make sure the volume levels of the speakers are substantially the same. When they are in-phase a substantial about of bass will emanate out of the gap, when they are out of phase the bass will nearly completely cancel. This will not work quite as well if you have speakers that have a rear port or rear-facing passive radiator but you will still hear a clear difference.

FWIW...
Okay. Thank you for that. Makes sense to me.

In Reaper I set up two tracks, one panned hard left the other hard right.

Set up L/R pairs of the following test tones: 100Hz, 315Hz, 1Khz, and pink noise.

When inverting phase on one track for all but the pink noise, the sound was completely cancelled out. Pink noise left just a high pitch when phase was inverted, but lost all low frequencies completely. Same results when both tracks for each test tone were panned center.

So yet another test that indicates AS CONNECTED, the monitors were in phase with each other. But note --I'm still using one speaker cable that has reverse polarity, which is a fix for a pair of monitors that are OUT OF PHASE with each other.

So yes, more evidence that the monitors really are out of phase with each other for some reason. Still only guessing why...

Last edited by Peterk312; 07-10-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Peterk312 is offline   Reply With Quote