View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
24dB
Human being with feelings

Default Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 MkII

Just got my S61 MK2 in, some thoughts:

1. The Mk2 is much lighter than the Mk1, no metal in the upper case anymore, no rubber endcaps, everything is lightweight plastic. Good and bad, easier to move but feels flimsier than MKI.

2. The Mk2 can run off USB power solely, but for hardware MIDI to work (and for the Mk2 screens/lights to be 10-15% brighter) an AC adapter must be used ($25 at NI site, $7-10 on Amazon)

3. The transport controls no longer work in Reaper, due to the new API for communicating with DAWS mixers, etc. There is no longer a 'Komplete Kontrol - DAW' MIDI object showing up in Reapers MIDI prefs or surface/OSC prefs. I assume that apart from the main DAWs mentioned with the MK2 release, other DAWs no longer have any KK compatibility

4. There is a distinct lack of documentation apart from a link to download the manual, it would have been nice to have a 'getting started' or something as there are several unlabeled new buttons and the overall layout has changed a lot.

5. The Previews worked fine in My Mk1 Browser, seems equally fine in the Mk2 browser. MK2 Bonus Points: you can view/filter by favorites with the touch of a button including previews. Nice.

6. The touchstrip control doesnt work yet, just outputs MIDICC 11 until an update is released. Same goes for editing the color of the light guide.

7. The entire Perform panel for adjusting curves, wheels, touchstrip is not implemented yet, again there is no way to do it until they release an update (BAD NI!)

8. The Controller Editor is dead, no longer works with the Mk2. All MIDI Hardware/Controller editing is now done inside the Komplete Kontrol application.

9. When browsing you ONLY see the browsing GUI on the little MK2 screens, it doesnt show up on the main DAW screen any more (might be a way to bring it back? or have both)

10. Main 8 controller knobs seem more consistently made, same amount of resistance in each, nice touch sensitivity on the caps.

Overall though it feels rushed, I'm not sure why they would release it with several key features unimplemented. If it wasn't for the new wheels I might think about sending it back and sticking with the MK1, but they are here and they feel good and that was one of the big reasons for me to update.

Does anyone have any inside info if/when we at least might see the return of the transport controls, etc?

Last edited by 24dB; 10-14-2017 at 01:07 PM.
24dB is online now   Reply With Quote