View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #937
wall0159
Human being with feelings

Default mixing

Hi all,

Many thanks to all the contributors to this thread, and particularly to Yep for starting and driving it. I think I've learned a lot. I read it as I was "finishing" my first Reaper-recorded song (I recently migrated from protools). A mix of it is here:
http://anguswallace.bandcamp.com/tra...ovely-moment-2

I've attached it because I've tried to apply some of the suggestions in this thread, but am sure there's a hell of a lot I'm still missing. Some info (because I am also after methodological advice):
System:
Mbox and laptop
Recording:
Acoustic guitar first. Both DI from pickup and MXL 990 condensor. Tracks 'positioned' nearby to try and sound coherent.
Vocals recorded next through same mic, though rerecorded after reading about the importance of removing room artefacts (I think adding physical damping around the mic helped considerably).
Drums recorded via midi next to complement the guitar (I prefer this approach as it helps me not get that click-drum sound that programmed midi can cause)
Bass is my DId electric guitar pitch-shifted (please don't hate me - I'd like to buy a bass one day..)
--
there's a little bit of reverb on the master track, and I managed to work out how to 'dodge' the acoustic guitar by compressing based on the vocal track, which seems to bring forward the vocals. I also applied some compression on the master, because the beginning of the track was too quiet. While I love dynamic range in music, the end of the track was seeming ridiculous compared to the start. There's EQ and compression on most tracks, and a couple of electric guitar garnishes.

I've done all my mixing through headphones. they're Sennheiser HD 220s, which to me seem very bass-heavy, so I got their specs from headphones.com and made an EQ in the master to undo this (being careful to remove it before rendering!). That seemed to help, but I realise it's still suboptimal. After rendering, I went back and forth to my stereo to listen there and also listened on a tiny midi hifi.
--
Thoughts
It still sounds a bit boxy to me, and I'm still dissatisfied with the vocals in particular (I'm not a great singer, but I'm sure I can make them sound better than this). I'm vaguely dissatisfied with the overall thing, but can't really put my finger on it - it doesn't really feel engaging or in the room...

I'd welcome any and all advice or constructive criticism, either regarding the recording, mixing, performance, arrangement or composition.
wall0159 is offline   Reply With Quote