View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 01:38 PM   #1
andrewf
Human being with feelings

Default Issue with ReaGate and Podcast

Hello everyone. New guy here!

I am using Reaper to edit my podcast and am really enjoying the tools available. I'm able to get my podcast sounding very close to what I would like it to sound like, but I am having one significant issue.

In my FX chain, I have the following setup in this order: ReaFir, ReaGate, ReaEQ, ReaComp, Master Limiter. The issue I have is with ReaGate.

When ReaGate is encountering a breath, it kicks in and reduces the noise (as intended) but as the same breath gets slightly louder, the gate opens up and there is a noticeable spike in the volume of the breath. So the first half of the breath is quiet, then the second half spikes loudly. It almost makes a clicking sound when that happens.

Obviously, I can adjust my threshold above the breath, but then it starts cutting into my co-host's voice.

I'm not sure what I need to fix this, but I think I need a way to soften the transition of gate closed to gate open. Or maybe I shouldn't even use a gate, but honestly, it is cutting out a lot of the little sounds (table bumps, mouth noises, etc.).

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
andrewf is offline   Reply With Quote