View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 05:03 PM   #6
bozmillar
Human being with feelings

I would guess that stolen plugins being ripe with malware would be a good deterrent for people to avoid cracked software.

Again, I have no actual evidence for this, so I may be way off, but I see 3 camps of people:

1) People who will never steal software. You don't need to worry about this group because they will buy it if they want it. Copy protection, or lack thereof, will not sway their decision.

2) People who will always get free versions of everything they can. You don't need to worry about this group because they will never buy your stuff. Copy protection, or lack thereof, will not convince them to buy your stuff.

3) People who only get free when it's more convenient.This is the only group for which copy protection has any effect. Sometimes they don't buy software because they don't have enough money, but would if they had it. Sometimes they don't buy software because the copy protection makes it harder to use. Sometimes they don't buy software because a friend gave it to them and it just works. But it really comes down to how much time and effort you are willing to put in to get that group to give you money for your plugins.

I personally think that anyone who is serious about recording is going to eventually get to the point where they buy the software they use regularly, so if they are in group 3, eventually they will grow out of it or stop recording and move onto something else. I want to make sure that I'm a brand that they recognize when they graduate from group 3 to group 1.