View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #68
J Kennedy
Human being with feelings

Default freezing

Out,

The before and after audio clips are I guess what I was hedging on with this. The guy who owned the Martin played the thing at 3 years old (inherited it from his father) and was a master of weird open tunings. This was a medium size body and his string gauges were all different to optimize sounds which were often tested outside the normal EADGBE range. Divyam'shu was not only a phenomenal acoustic musician but had a critical ear, and absolutely stood by the improvement in sound quality after the freezing incident.

The only significant differences in the plane cargo pit would have been the lower atmospheric pressure and the dry ice being colder. Some industrial freeze drying processes rely on low pressure as well as low temp. Air pressure could have been a factor but would not be too hard to recreate at sea level. Dry ice on the ground or freezing way up hi seems to have the same effect, just not knowing why it works.

The guy literally grew up with this one guitar and his conviction was enough to inspire me to try it on a Yamaha acoustic. It seemed to increase the bottom end, resonance and projection. I ran it thru probably 4 cycles. Tried later on an Aria with the same results. Fried a bunch of other acoustics and the owners liked the result. Tried it on solid body electrics with no change except for the cracks in the finish.

We tried one before and after on an acoustic using an E-Bow, mike setup and analog volume meter. Not the most sensitive mechanism, but didn’t get any significant change in the volume reading. So things sounded better, but was it really. Maybe volume isn’t the factor to test, or maybe the improvement is wishful thinking. If it doesn’t work, there are still a lot of people running around with guitars they swear sound better after the freezing.

On the quantitative electric side, a buddy just redid his kids mega fake strat, a Korean off brand that even missed their factory specs enough not to be labeled. He’s got some good diagnostic equipment and rated the output at 180% times the original, on top of the new tonal capabilities. He considers the sound of the converted axe to be above the best American Fenders he’s played off the shelves. My Squire needs only about a third the crunch gain settings to overdrive after the overhaul.

A random note on my friend with the Martin. He was a gambler and was playing Russian Roulette with a 357 magnum. 6 to 1 odds, and he splattered his brains all over the wall on the first shot. A week before his untimely exit, he gave me one of his tunings. It’s sorta like an open D with a modification. Use medium gage acoustic strings, but supplement with a heavier gage low E.

Tune the low E and Hi E down a whole step to D. Lower the B string 2 steps down to G, giving 2 G strings, with the B string slinky enough to have a bit of sitar-like quality. Lots of neat chords and outside the box possibilities.

Regards,
John

Last edited by J Kennedy; 09-28-2007 at 08:47 PM.
J Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote