View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 03:38 PM   #52
J Kennedy
Human being with feelings

Default magnet update

reference http://www.kjmagnetics.com/categories.asp

Got some Neodymiums ordered. The best candidates from this website are the 1/4" X 1/8" thick discs that should fit on the bottom of the pickup poles. These are also their N50 stronger grade and magnetized thru the thickness.

The others Iíve got coming are 2" X 1/2" X 1/8" thick bars. These are about a quarter inch shorter than Iíd like, but will give them a try. Not N50 rated, but way better than the iron bar magnet and inert pole junk Iíve got in the Squire strat currently. These neodymiums are also magnetically aligned by thickness. If you get bar magnets, donít get the ones that are magnetized thru the axis. You will end up with a more dull, weak pickup with uneven volume across the strings. Guitar magnets need to specify that they are polarized thru their thickness.

Total price in this was about $24 for four bars and 25 buttons. I can handle that (my wife said I could).

Going to see if I can breathe new life into the Squire pseudo pickups. Will try both the bars and buttons, and hope to get back in a couple days with some good news.

John K
J Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote