Thread: Please remove
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2020, 06:45 AM   #40
Soli Deo Gloria
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
...I was testing Kontakt (on my i7 system) with a large Piano library that I forget the name of and it was spiking to 100% in a periodic sort of way...
This is exactly my situation with an I7-3770k from 2013, which I have loaded with 40+ Kontakt track projects many times on Windows 7, with hundreds of FXs. While being a relatively "old" machine for the current standards in the US and Europe (it's always strange to me that in this computational world, "old" can be applied to such short periods of time), I see in Reaper's performance meter that I have many, many resources available but the spikes do occur the same in that periodic fashion you observe with Wine. Up to now, I have been bridging everything with Linvst, but I agree that the real bottleneck seems to be Wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspa View Post
regardless of that, it's still possible to get reasonable performance. I think once I get the threading / priorities all worked out (i kind of had a breakthrough, lastnight. but still a few todo's), then I can move onto other things; like setting priorities from within ntdll, rather than wineserver (which causes xruns, afaict)... and i can start looking at other optimizations - like moving certain calls out of wineserver (that hurt performance) and other things... So i believe that there is lots of room for performance improvements.

Well, I'll be taking a look at Manjaro, and see if I can install it and get used to its basics alongside my current Ubuntu Studio install (with which I already feel comfortable). If I see that it's viable to have both systems installed on my main machine, I'd like to beta-test your development, really. In that case, if you don't mind, I'll go on via private message. As time goes by, if things turn out well, all the experience gained with all of this will be reflected in the first posts of this thread, which I plan as a kind of easy (well, "easy") summary of Linux audio optimizations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspa View Post
as an aside, after a few year hiatus from this kind of thing - i find it both hilarious and sad that so many linuxaudio devs have put so much work into VST bridges and integration with Wine -- yet none have bothered with trying to fix the real problems with wine's performance. it's crazy. i don't get it.

I agree, and as osxmidi comments, wine devs have strangely missed the focus on this most important topic. Besides, there is a serious, underlying problem with Linux : almost 30 years onwards from its conception, there still seems to be a certain - unconscious? - delight in difficulty just for the sake of it. It always puzzles me that for every simple question on Linux forums, you find on many occasions a hard time finding a straightforward solution. The console-centric paradigm seems to be some kind of - unconscious? - gate-keeping to keep "forever" things as they are : a little, little niche in the desktop computing world. Forgive me about this, but although many technical explanations can be given about Linux's ways, I always get the gate-keeping impression in the end. After all, Linux rules the world with Internet servers, supercomputers and even somehow via Android on the smartphone realm. So, let them keep the desktop field private, to put it somehow...

Maybe in the future, as more and more newbies like me keep entering, little by little, there is a tiny, almost microscopic hope of a really friendly Linux environment. If they iron out all the bugs of Snap and the likes, maybe it will also be a step in that direction. But, in my case, as I profoundly dislike the direction Microsoft is taking with Windows 10, here I am... Apple is not an option for me here in Argentina, and I don't really expect a truly easy Linux experience, at least in my lifetime. Nevertheless, here comes my support to the Linux project, always reckoning that things could - and should - be way, way easier.

Sorry for the rant mode; it was a little relief after all these geeky times with Ubuntu Studio. Now, let's continue working...

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 06-24-2020 at 06:57 AM.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote