Thread: Please remove
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #37
nspa
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Over my head. Thanks for explaining it. I only use Kontakt with it's stock library in a supporting role to audio tracks, and use it without any issues the exact same way as I used it in Windows.

I just assumed there is a finite amount of CPU power, and that two real time processes might fight each other for CPU time. I suppose how powerful of a CPU would factor in too.
yeah, it doesn't sound like you are doing heavy lifting with Kontakt. glad it works for you, as you like to use it.

sorry for the technical explanation. it's hard to explain in layman terms... yes, finite resources -- but a system that is setup properly is going to have everything prioritized correctly, wine-nspa attempts to handle wine's threading, synchronization and RT priorities correctly...

for example, on my own system - wine's highest priority threads run just below Jack. so they are very high priority, but lower than Jack's audio callback threads -- this way they don't interrupt audio, but they still get lots of CPU time and are prioritized above most RT threads on my linux system. (minus, audio device and some kernel threads that run at 99 RT priority)... so just like Jack's audio threads don't get interrupted by wine's RT threads -- my system doesn't interfere with wine's RT threads.

this all takes a bit of engineering / planning.
nspa is offline   Reply With Quote