View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 10:54 PM   #16
InfiniteDimensionality
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post
It would be helpful to know why the tempo curve is needed. Like ED said, actual implementation of the curve isn't likely, but getting the same/similar result is possible.
The need should not matter. One can't decide to do something based on the hypothetical "need" that someone else may have. Why? Because you can't truly know if something is needed until it is done... the only valid way to progress is to say "Will it most likely be useful and are there other similar cases where it proves to be useful? Are there any theoretical proofs that make it useful?".

So, I shouldn't have to list all my reasons... and even if I did it wouldn't change anything.

For example, anyone at any point in time can say "It's not useful, I don't have any use for it" just like enroe did. Such mentalities destroy progress because no one can make progress because some idiot will always say "NO, NO PROGRESS!".

Also, if I list my reasons, you my disagree... and if you have the self-centered egotistical megalomanic disorders that are common in society, then you will say that my reasons are not valid and yours are.

Also, if I list my reasons people then come back, as you have done and say "It can be done using X"... which is another fallacy.

Why? Because my needs may be only a few in which X might apply but others that were not listed(mine or others) may not work by the method X given.

The issue should be judged on it's pure merits, not on peoples opinions, biases, ego, etc. Of course, that is really all that has happened here.

The questions should be.

1. Will it hurt anything
- No, because it can always be disabled internally by the developers if it did and it already exists in fundamental form in the software so only bugs could be created, which can be fixed. But the feature itself is not innately dangerous... e.g., nukes are.

2. Can it be done. I pointed out that it can without issue and described the outline of how. Envelopes already do this, so I never even had to do it.

This does suggest the performance issue, but then I showed how that could be solved(precomputing, that is how all performance issues are solved when practical).

3. What is the cost to implement it... This is really the crux of all features. If it is possible to implement then it is just a matter of how much time. This gets down to desire.

In this specific feature it is easy to implement... it's already 95% done.

4. Many features are denied by the peons who claim they are not useful or possible... only to find out that they are both useful and possible. The peons lack imagination and knowledge... I know, it's not their fault... it never is.

Now, I will give you my reason for needing it, my main reason.

1. Drumming - I am a drummer and I like to practice to various non-linear tempo changes. I use reaper to do this since it's easy to create a click track and try different curves. Because I'm limited to linear, it is very limiting. Using non-smooth curves(low resolution splines) gives a jerky tempo that is not as easy to follow.

One can argue that is not needed because music doesn't generally change tempos... which is a statement based in ignorance(again, it does not base it on pure meaning but on biases and ignorance).

There are reasons to practice to non-linear tempo changes that go beyond what non-drummers can understand.(of course, can be used by non-drummers if they get it but it is another heard mentality to think that because it hasn't been done then it can't be done... fire was once thought to be quite useless).

2. Retards and accelerandos, common in some music, are not linear based... hence using them can be helpful and having smooth curves help make this work much easier. I draw them by hand... usually it takes around 5-10 points to get smooth and correct. with proper curves it can be done in 2 or 3 points and makes changing them much easier.

When changing hand drawn curves one has to modify all the points. You want to change the rate of change you have to modify ALL points. Why? There is absolutely no point in requiring one to do this when all the code already exists in reaper to allow curves in tempo maps. Maybe a few extra lines have to be added but most of the code already exists. A tempo map is an envelope. It maybe that reaper internally does not represent them the same and so it will be more work, but it should be, in fact, quite easy. Only the devs know how easy which means they first have to work on it to see. The point being, there should be no BS about "It's too hard! or It's impossible". In fact, those statements are far more ignorant than just saying "We don't want to put in the time, we have better things to do!" which is at least being honest.

If one always looks at the usefulness of something as what it is currently, then there is no point. Kill all humans! Every human starts out as a baby which is absolutely useless. That is the mentality of the peons that have posted. Kill the baby because there is no use for it! The reality is that only with time does something become useful... even fire took many millennia to become useful!

What people who are denying this feature really need to ask themselves is why. Is it because they are ignorant, arrogant, or lazy. I can accept lazy... I can even accept ignorance as long as it is willing not to remain ignorant. I can even accept arrogance as long as it is logical and truthful. I have not found any of that in this thread and we all suffer for it(not much but there is no point in the first place).
InfiniteDimensionality is offline   Reply With Quote