View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #50
ajaym
Human being with feelings

Liquidmantis:

Many many thanks for your kind donation. It is much appreciated. With regard to the track delete issue, presumably if you shut down the console UI and then press SHIFT twice to bring it back up, the console correctly synchronises with the deleted track now removed. I sure hope so, anyway!.

I am not sure if Reaper gives me an event to hook into for track deletion, although since we are scanning many times a second, it's probably possible to pick this up. I'll have a look into it.

Also channel strip locking. I'm thinking about this. There's still one spare control sequence i.e shift + record arm (top rotary switch) which could be used for something.

I don't want to fall into the trap of the Mackie emulation mode for the BCF2000 where, in my opinion, we're trying to get the control surface to do too much and the key sequences get bewildering. One possibility is to make the shifted keys all programmable i.e

shift + mute
shift + solo
shift + rec arm
shift + play
shift + rec
shift + rewind
shift + ff

the other shifted sequences, I think, should remain as they are to avoid real confusion. If the above seven shifted keys could be assigned to a range of functions this would probably meet the various requirements, so that the present hard-coded assignments become programmable, and then we add

lock channel
show meter bridge (Sonar only, I don't think Reaper can do metering)
... other new assignable functions TBD ...

-------------------------------------------------------------

Susan:

As someone else has already suggested, it appears that Reaper is echoing back 'out of sync' with the BCR. Now, this may be some kind of Windows 7 specific issue, I'm not sure if the other people who reported this problem were running Win 7 or XP (as I am).

BUT

There are two things worth trying

1 - this may be tricky for you, I appreciate. Can you connect the BCR via MIDI cables to a MIDI interface of some sort, configure the BCR into mode U-3 and unplug its USB cable and see if the problem persists with raw MIDI. I appreciate you may not have the cables or hardware to do this, of course.

2. With the existing setup and an empty Reaper project i.e just the master fader. Move the master fader in Reaper down to zero. Now I expect the BCR is also showing zero. Now, with MIDI-OX in the loop, so you can watch the MIDI events (i.e BCR-> MIDI-OX -> Reaper (connected via MIDI-OX virtual port), move the BCR encoder VERRRY slowly until a MIDI event occurs. What was transmitted to Reaper, and what did Reaper echo back?.

I'm wondering if what happens is this

We turn the encoder very slowly and it transmits CC nn 01 i.e first non-zero value

Reaper doesn't echo anything (or echos CC nn 00)

We turn the encoder again and it transmits CC nn 02

Reaper echoes CC nn 01 (i.e, out by one). This would be some kind of internal buffering issue inside Reaper. But why I am not seeing it is a mystery UNLESS it's Win 7 specific.

At present I am deeply suspicious that we have some kind of quirk in Reaper that I am not seeing here. The Reaper and Sonar versions of the plugin are pretty much the same identical code but with Reaper APIs instead of Sonar ones, so I can't immediately think of a likely defect in the code at this stage.

However, we'll find it. If you wouldn't mind doing a bit more detective work for me and posting back your findings, that would be much appreciated....

EDIT: Susan you clearly stated the problem occurs on XP.. sorry, I just re-ready your post. That's even weirder. Let's try the above, anyway, and see what happens....

Last edited by ajaym; 01-28-2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: didn't read Susan's post properly
ajaym is offline   Reply With Quote