View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #18
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
The lowest latency in ALSA I've gotten without the audio cutting out was 5.8ms/11ms at 44.1KHz (at 24 bits or 32 bits, no difference). That's 256 sample buffer x3. It's approximately the lowest latency setting I got using the same device in Windows 7 with ASIO. It's an Asus Xonar DX card.

With JACK (talking to ALSA) it was 5.8ms/17ms using those same buffer and sample rate settings.

I imagine I could get lower latency by stepping up the sample rate, but I don't use higher sample rates. And if I used a realtime kernel maybe I could improve that number. I'm just not tempted too much to swap kernels at the moment.
Before I switched from Airwave (that other Air thing) to LinVST, I couldn't even get REAPER to finish initializing unless the latency was set to 512 samples, but once I started using LinVST, switched to a low latency kernel and set real time privileges for myself, I can run everything as low as I could in Windows.

I'm REALLY hoping that REAPER will see the two cards now as one device using ALSA, which is what I see using ASIO in Windows. I'm not going to mess with it tonight, but it would be GREAT if I didn't have to worry about running REAPER after launching Qjackctrl to make the routing happen that allows me to use all four inputs from the two stereo cards.

It has already bitten me once when I recorded some acoustic drums and when playing back the take realized that I had forgotten to start Qjackctrl first, so only two of the four tracks recorded anything. I had to play and record that whole drum part a second time!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote