View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #29
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by junh1024 View Post
GOOD news. I now have a number of decoders here https://github.com/junh1024/Reaper-Surround

* 4.0 (padded to 5.1) & 1oA 3D cube. These are CORRECT.
* 15.1 Ambisonics decoder. This is SEMI-CORRECT. Use it with 15.1 to 3D Downmix (M) to downmix to 4+4/9.1
* 1oA 11.1bf decoder.txt. This actually fits your setup perfectly, but it's WRONG. To compensaye, raise back by a few dBs.

RE NuGen 3D upmix plugin, You don't upmix surround to ambisonics. You PAN surround to ambisonics. If you upmix, you're destroying directionality. If you want to destroying directionality, use ambifreeverb instead.

BTW, where can I hear your compositions in ambisonics?
Thanks for the info on your updates. I'm currently doing everything in third order using mainly Blue Ripple plugins and their cube decoder is actually very good.

As for my reference to upmixing, I'm speaking of actually upmixing a stereo source to full third order Ambisonics which is what the NuGen upmixer does with a stereo source. It creates width, depth and height from a stereo source. I haven't tried it yet but I am curious.

Regarding 5.1 to Ambisonics, the Blue Ripple upmixers can do either panned 5.1 to Ambisonics or implied upmixing. The latter takes the 5.1 information and creates a continuous circular image rather than just point source locations for each of the five channels. It really is a considerable improvement over simple point source panning.
The Blue Ripple upmixers and decoders cost me a fair amount of money but they really are the best tools I have yet found. I have to say though that the IEM guys are catching up and their latest panning and manipulating tools are on par with Blue Ripple.

I only have one Ambisonic mix available on my website at this stage but the new double length album I am currently working on will be there as well as a third order download.
You can find the mix of one track called 'Run the Race' from my previous album on my website at www.AmbisonicMusic.com