View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 07:41 AM   #60
Rockrooms
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Hypothetical situation. Phone rings...

Fred: "Hello... Reaper studios... how may I help you?"

Joe: "Hi, I have a large project I need to mix. It's in OMF and AAF formats. The studio I was working in had a fire and went out of business, thank god I had my masters. I need to mix 12 songs for an album in 12 days to meet a deadline. Can you help me?"

Fred: "We can't read and write OMF/AAF but if you can get those converted to flat files we can. We use this great software called Rea... "

(interrupted by Joe who doesn't have time to screw around...)

Joe: "... thanks anyway. Have a nice day." (Click)

Fred: (to business partner John) "Shit. We just lost a ton of money. I told you we shoulda got Nuendo and just paid the goddamn $1650! You and your freaking '..I don't see $1500 worth of difference...'" We still coulda mixed in Reaper!

John: "Bite me dude. Reaper rules! We don't want those corporate stiffs money anyway! It the re-vo-lu-tion man! Digi is shaking in their boots! Besides, don't worry... my kids band is coming in later. I think they got their allowances today..."

Fred: (Sighs and contemplates suicide... or better yet, murdering John...)

I will now run and hide...
Well, possibly, but it wasn't so long ago the conversation would have run

FRED :"Hello Digidesign studios how can I help"
JOE "One of our Studer machines has lost the time sync and we have to get 12 tracks mixed in twelve days, luckily the master tapes are still intact and the time code is good, can I send the two reels over to you ? You'll be able to read the sync tracks ok?"
FRED "Well, if you can get them digitized we have this great new 16bit digital system call Pro.."
Click....

Every system has to start somewhere, right now PT is the Industry "standard", but change has a habit of being permanent :-)

Actually, a depressing number of my conversations with clients tend to run along the lines of "We want to record an album and think we can do it in three days, our budget is about £600..."
Still, that's another thread...

- Joe -
Rockrooms Studio
www.rockrooms.co.uk
Rockrooms is offline   Reply With Quote