View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #73
e.g.:
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthFader View Post
So? He's still mistaken IMHO. The midi cable has just changed to be a USB cable that transports Midi protocol.

Midi is critical to music production and there are plenty of Midi features that are lacking in Reaper whether it's Midi features that can be used on VSTis or external boxes or both.

Lambasting MIDI is nonsensical IMHO.

As noted above, most DAWs (especially the big players) support of Midi is far from merely "basic".

DF
The extensive use of MIDI by the end-user is rare. I don't mean that they don't use a DAW's MIDI editor. I don't mean that they don't use MIDI keyboards. I don't mean that they don't use MIDI learn. If this is what you consider extensive use of MIDI, then you have made my point.

And whether or not the MIDI data is transferred via USB or DIN is not the point either.

The fact that there are only two or so rack modules available these days is testament to the fact that MIDI's role as an active and dynamic force in the studio is going the way of control voltage. Most users only know MIDI as something working in the box to control hard and soft synths. Few understand CC, RPN, NRPN or SysEx or know the simple stuff (like channel 10 is often reserved for percussion).

MIDI has been grandfathered to virtual studio technology. If you think that software developers don't want a better protocol than MIDI, you should think again. The existence of OSC and the proposal of HD Protocol is evidence.

Why is hoping for a better protocol (such as HD with higher range/resolution and more channels) seen as "sad devotion to an ancient religion" or even "lambasting"? I don't understand. Despite MIDI 1 and 2 updates, the way that MIDI actually works (not how it's delivered) hasn't changed since its inception in 1983. This is as amazing as the fact that a standard and royalty free protocol was reached in the first place.

MIDI implementation in Reason/Record, Pro Tools, REAPER, FL Studio, and Ableton Live is less than "extensive". Some better than others, but none are comprehensive.

My studio and performances are perhaps 98% MIDI driven. I have an appreciation for it, and a desire to see it improved.

Last edited by e.g.:; 07-07-2010 at 08:00 AM.
e.g.: is offline   Reply With Quote