View Single Post
Old 07-18-2019, 09:43 AM   #26
serr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsjethro View Post
Well another computer bloke (not the shop), who has done excellent work for me in the past but is often away from home (lives just around the corner) says he will install a SDD sata drive on my computer (the ones he recommends is Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB or WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2,5 inch, which is half the price of the Samsung, how come?).

He has done this before but never with a Windows 10 OS. So he is going to clone my C hard drive and transfer this to the SDD hard drive.

Does anyone have any tips towards this end please?

What kind of Windows tweaks were you thinking of, Serr?
The logic board you have will dictate weather you need a SATA or M.2 connecting SSD. It's going to be one or the other.

OSX user here. My "tweaks" are to install OSX or Linux.
I've seen advice offered on the forum though and there are Windows users in here doing heavy lifting with their rigs.

On the hardware side - Any computer with functional electronics sporting an i7 generation CPU (including the i3 or i5 versions) and a SSD should be almost unstoppable for small or medium projects. Only some of the hungry instrument plugins, hundreds of tracks, or a heavy live sound (needing low latency) setup calls for a higher end machine (the likes of which are usually only bought by video guys).

When I see reports of stuff crapping out after just a few tracks and that kind of thing... Either a slow spinner hard drive is at play or you have other stuff running or something going on with your OS.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote