View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #48
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Never did anything with Amiga's, but a friend was playing around with video on one of those. And he had a bridgeboard too, IIRC.
They were great machines with preemptive multitasking and a hybrid Unix/DOS kind of OS. Light years ahead of other systems. I have this Amiga emulator in Linux (https://fs-uae.net/) and restored three of my old Amiga HDs from virtual floppies so I can actually boot my old Amiga and run all it's programs, from three different time periods. It runs just like the real thing, but I can't do things like plug in any of the video hardware I still have.

Quote:
That's why I buy HD's in batches. At least a pair. Of course, it's all SSD these days. No data recovery possible.
That makes sense. Hehe, with SSDs the board is the drive!

Quote:
Pretty hardline

I can"t do that, as a lot of the systems I need generate webpages with svg graphs and pull in data from several sources. That's the main reason I need to keep browsers reasonably up-to-date.
If I really want to see what was at a site that's too scripty for me, I'll on occasion take the time to view it through a proxy. Gotta be something I really think I should see though.

Quote:
You can't see traffic from the router to the net on your computer, unless WireShark would be running on the router. That won't work with your average SOHO router, I think. But it's an interesting idea. I might explore that if I don't forget due to lack of time
I hadn't thought about it from that perspective. Router to internet traffic isn't on the LAN, if no device on the LAN is involved is how it works then?
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote