View Single Post
Old 02-10-2020, 05:19 PM   #745
lightnb
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
Are you using outside apps for sounds to add to reaper via jack? Because if not I don't see the point in using jack at all when you can use alsa.
I'm not using anything other than Reaper with plugins. If I stay on Linux (which I'd like to do, but it's unusable at this point, unless we figure out the problem), I'll probably use ZynSubFX and Drum Gizmo and the other FX that are available on Linux. But those all run through Carla or as plugins, so I wouldn't need Jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
I have one particular project running with 17 instances of kontakt (I prefer to use separate instances per instrument rather than multiple inst in one kontakt) some uhe synths & various other fx plugins per track at 128 samples using alsa & the cpu is barely going over 45% use.
And when you play 17 Kontakts at once, there are no clicks or pops?

What is your software setup like?

Are you using Reaper on Linux (native) or Windows Reaper running on Wine?

Do you have Jack installed at all, or just a PulseAudio/ALSA only setup?

Are you using LinVST, and does it go through Carla, or Reaper direct through LinVST to the Kontakt SO/DLL?

Is it normal Wine, or one of the commercial ones?

Did you set Kontakt to one CPU only like suggested above?

It's nice to know that someone has this working... I'd just like to figure out what's different with this setup that's causing the issues. Once I get to three Kontakt instruments I get into clicks and pops and 100% CPU on the core running Wine. Didn't see much/any difference between Mint 19 and Ubuntu Studio 19.10. It's probably a configuration issue with the software stack.

UPDATE: Just tried turning Jack off and using Kontakt standalone in Wine, no DAW. About 3 instruments is where it hits 100% CPU (in Kontakt) and gets occasional distortion, which sounds different than an xrun, but it seems to be the same thing. I guess that eliminates LinVST, Kontakt and Jack as the problem. Seems to be an issue with/between Linux and Wine.

Last edited by lightnb; 02-10-2020 at 05:39 PM.
lightnb is offline   Reply With Quote