View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #99
Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstpierre View Post
[...] I also have a BCR-2000 Controler and I really want to get the MIDI feedback thing going with it. I was really excited when I saw this thread, but all the explanations seem over my head. I keep checking it to see if someone posts a step by step tutorial for this.
I will post some more simple tutorials when I get around to it - I'm just a bit too busy for that lately. But it is not going to get that much simpler, only more modular.

Btw, I did just post a little example here that could also be helpful to get started. Not for MIDI / feedback though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstpierre View Post
It seems I have to download another program (PureData) and do something with that. I am not a computer programmer and I don't have to time to invest in learn to do that right now. [...]
Me neither.

Seriously, this is really only as much 'programming' as creating a composition using MIDI or creating a patch for a modular synthesizer is 'programming'. I'm not writing code, not even scripting. I'm basically just patching virtual cables between simple functions such as add and multiply - any electronic musician should understand how that works. It just becomes complex because we want to do complex things. It's not the patching that makes it difficult, it's formulating *exactly* how you want controls to function, and how you want them laid out. That takes much more time and thought than actually patching it.

For example, today I have spent several hours experimenting with different acceleration values for the BCR-2000 rotary encoders in 14 bit mode, until they felt right to me. I ended up with this:
Code:
.resolution 96 12288 12288 18432
That took about an hour per value, half a working day for a short line of 'code', if that's what you want to call it. No programming required at all, just tweaking knobs with many different combinations of values. The actual 'programming' after I was done looking for suitable values: one search/replace action on a SysEx file, took about 15 seconds to open the file, change it, save it and transmit it to the BCR-2000.