View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
Broman
Human being with feelings

Ok first of all, let's acknowledge that this is a very nice improvement in many areas. Nice work guys, lots of excellent details added and problems fixed. My favorites are the clearer IO buttons, the rounded edges on elements, the more emphasized item selection and the new scroll bars and transport buttons.

That said...
1) Why not flip the send and receive words next to the IO button, to match the order on the button (which I would say is more logical, since a track receives audio/midi and then outputs after)? So it would be RCV SEND. And then why not color each word to match its color state on the button for better immediate clarity?

2) While I like the meter activity color, I think the background behind it (I'm talking about the background on top of which meter activity appears, the darker grey) should be darker, to make that area stand out and really emphasize "hey, watch this space because action's going to happen here". Since it is the only area of the panel that always has animation, I think it makes sense to add some contrast there. I like the philosophy you guys have of trying to keep things mostly neutral, but you can add spatters of vivid or dark colors here and there to make things more visually appealing and clear.

3) How about a volume knob on the "meter only" layout, so you can at least change the volume (kind of important on a mixer) with that admittedly very nice and minimal layout?

That's all I have to add to the discussion for now. That "full" layout is pretty messy but I'm not sure what I'd do with it right now.

[edit] Oh I almost forgot... that clip indicator still blends in way too much... Clipping is a big deal! Can't it be bright red, with a bit more height so it isn't almost totally obstructed by the peak dB text?