View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 04:10 AM   #28
ivansc
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Such an option helps item centric editing over some of the hurdles, but stays firmly inside that paradigm. It's when you want to get out of it where things get complicated.

It does (or did, at least).
Sonar (7 is all I know) indeed often created exactly the "I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave" situation described in the OP for me. As long as you worked strictly linear or didn't care much whether events end up in the left or right of two subsequent clips (item) (when you created events in a gap between the two) it was ok. But as soon as you expected an event you created ending up in a specific clip, you could be massively disappointed by the decision Sonar made for you and find yourself fighting the machine. And when you started to use "track layers" (which was Sonar's way to have multiple clips in parallel) you could be sure things will go haywire (events ending up in wrong layers - even in muted layers and such stuff).

Don't forget that Mr Kruger knew his Sonar (4) inside out as far as his style of working was concerned and the workflow he performs in the vids is created around how Sonar worked back then and what it was good at.
Been a while so excuse the rust, but I thought I recalled Sonar giving you the option as to how you inserted new stuff? Certainly in BPP I can choose whether I am pasting inserting or w.h.y. on the fly at the point of insertion.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote