Thread: Amp Sim Tones ?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #22
PRS
Human being with feelings

well thank you all again for your great insight...

I do use a PRS, a CE22 with Dragons. For live a Sansamp Classic set to 'Cali Boogie' into a Bassman. I also occasionally use a Gibson SG.

Just to clarify I'm not looking to copy anyone's sound. Surely tone is in ones technique as much if not more than in their equipment. I was just using the May, Gilmour and Santana tones as a well known reference. I would imagine if I were to use their exact set-up I still would not sound exactly the same. However, that is the sound(s) that works best for my style of playing.

Magnolius, that was a nice sound. Very close to what I'd like to achieve. What guitar/ pickup settings did you use ?

pipelineaudio, could you put up a few of those impulses you mentioned if they aren't already available online ? I'd be interested in hearing them.

Ted I'm definitely looking forward to hearing your May and Gilmour tones. Though I suppose we'll have to wait for your new web site. Do you have any mp3 examples you could put up for us to hear ???

Yes, I agree rolling off the high end on your guitar will create a creamier tone. I do that in my live setup. Though honestly to my ear I feel I'm also losing some character and prefer not to use this technique. Or use it sparingly.

What I'm wondering, and I'll use my Sansamp as an example. Is the Sansamp Classic, first out was designed as a 'jack of all trades' as it were. It covers Fender to Marshall to Boogie. Now, they came out with a new line 'The Character Series' (they are all analog by the way) where each pedal is designed to do just one specific tone. For example, the 'Liverpool' does an AC30 Beatles Brian May type sound. Theoretically better than the all-in-one Sans Classic.

So I'm wondering, if the Amp Sims were programed more toward a specific tone than an all-in-one. Would they then reproduce that tone better ??? Now I understand that most Sims are in fact geared towards a certain tone or character however could that be made even more specific and thereby resulting in a better albeit narrower tonal range ? A Fender Twin Sim, or a Larry Carlton Sim for example. Just a thought.

I'll just add I also wonder if the speaker IR's aren't playing a major role in this ? Since they do play a role in removing the harshness.
PRS is offline   Reply With Quote