View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #47
lawrs
Human being with feelings

Hi

I would like to make a request on behalf of Tim of SWS extension team. I recently requested for better editing actions
similar to "cut/copy/split , obeying time sel" , yet quite different. My idea was prodding the possibility of detecting last selection, if it's an item selection , or a time selection, and then have the editing action applied to it.

For example, if my last action was clicking on an item, cut/copy/split will apply to edit cursor, even if there is a time selection active. But if my last action was creating time selection, cut/copy/split will be applied to time selection. I believe this could be implemented, since the success of obey time selection actions?

Here's Tim's reply
Quote:

Yo lawrs,

Well, there's some technical difficulties in doing exactly what you're asking for.
Reaper doesn't notify when there's any activity with item or time selections, so my
extension would have to continuously poll (ask) reaper "Hey, what's the current item
selection?" "What's the current time selection?". This of course uses CPU, perhaps
a lot, and there's going to be "holes" where if you change selections quickly I won't
know what the actual "last selection" is.

Tim
If Tim was given the necessary API , he might be able to come up with a new "smart" cut/copy/split action. Hope this gets passed! Cheers!
lawrs is offline   Reply With Quote