Thread: tip o' the day
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2019, 05:41 PM   #282
bolgwrad
Human being with feelings

Default Very basic workflow tip - may be obvious, but you never know.

When recording a voice or instrument, you may find that the optimal record level is a lot lower than the playback level you're aiming for in the mix, unless you're going to get a clipped, distorted signal.

So rather than record on your carefully nurtured vocal/guitar/bassoon track and then dial the take level up (every time!), or record hot and risk clipping, just:

- Record at the optimal level on a VST-lite *copy* of your playback track. -

Once recorded or comped, drag the new, optimal media item onto your carefully nurtured playback track, which is all ready with VSTs, envelopes, etc. Mute the record track, colour it purple. God it's so simple. Yes, it's bloody obvious, but others like me may have overlooked this method.

For each live recorded um, thing, I have a 'master' PLAY track which is not normally adjusted, and an identical, dispensable, 'RECORD' track (apart maybe from level, fewer VSTs and sends/receives) which can be named appropriately for daily/hourly/instantaneous takes. And of course it can be duplicated for alternate takes; but you never need to adjust the 'PLAY' track once you're set, or unless you're in tweak mode.

This may be common 1-0-1 practice that even the noobiest noob would know, but I didn't suss it till today. (Smacks forehead). Not just Reaper, but if it's easier in another DAW I'd be surprised. I'm trying to imagine how it would work with tape.
bolgwrad is online now   Reply With Quote