View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
Soli Deo Gloria
Human being with feelings

Default Wine and LinVST on Ubuntu Studio : plugins show no GUI

[EDIT] : I changed the title of this thread to reflect more accurately whatś going on with this mess...

Strangely enough, I'm having some weird problem with Wine. On my first Ubuntu Studio install, I could install it and everything went just fine. I tried other distros to check for performance differences on my machine, but now every time I install Wine, when I load a Linvst-converted VST on Reaper, no GUI appears (for example, Synth1), although the instrument plays fine.

Before, when I typed in the terminal "winecfg" or "wine uninstaller", the GUI for those apps would run Ok. Now, if I type, for example, winecfg, the terminal shows this :

02e0:err:module:__wine_process_init failed to load L"C:\\windows\\system32\\wineboot.exe", error c0000018
02d8:err:environ:run_wineboot failed to start wineboot c0000018
02d8:fixme:actctxarse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
02e8:fixme:actctxarse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
02e8:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
02e8:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow The explorer process failed to start.

The only way to make winecfg appear is typing this :

WINEPREFIX=~/.new32prefix WINEARCH="win32" winecfg

[SIZE=3]The same applies for the uninstaller GUI, only doing it with a prefix
will work. Needless to say, I follow the steps in the Wine page to install wine (including
the enabling of i386 architecture), so I can't understand what is happening
here. Too many unnecessary difficulties for my taste, but I can't avoid
using Wine for now, so this is basically being a complete showstopper.

Any insight and/or newbie-friendly fix for this will be immensely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 06-06-2020 at 08:32 AM.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote