View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 06:29 AM   #8
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgiver69 View Post
To be honest it wasn't for me but I've been using Linux for around 10 years now. But I know that someone coming from Windows will have problems.

I think the best option for people coming from Windows is to stick to a distro created specifically for audio production like Avlinux (Which is what I'm using at the moment) and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble.

I have transferred most of my Win plugins to LinVst and I'm quite happy. I even managed to create some drum kits (thanks to Kenny Gioia) using the samples from my old copy of BFD.
I've only been using Linux for about 10 months and the biggest hurdle for me was figuring out how to do stuff I knew how to do in Windows. A bit of searching on the internet always provided the answers, and now I feel equally comfortable on either.

That said, Linux is still more geeky and requires more hands on to get the same performance as Windows. Not just with audio either. It took me about three months of trying different search terms every now and then to finally find the fix for my hot rod nVidia video card to just play full screen video and not have screen tearing when the camera pans and everything in the shot is moving.

One day I found that adding these three options to xorg.conf finally fixed the screen tearing and video is now about like it was in Windows.

Option "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0 {ForceCompositionPipeline=On, ForceFullCompositionPipeline=On}"
Option "AllowIndirectGLXProtocol" "off"
Option "TripleBuffer" "on"
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote