View Single Post
Old 08-01-2019, 05:29 PM   #6
BipTunia
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
Hmm, you never know what stuff will actually be good. I would be lying if I wasn't extremely skeptical, but this stuff is always worth a look!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
I'm 100% in favor of having a consumer-grade mono speaker for referencing against, but a 5-watt 2" seems like a bit much. MixCubes and NS10s are still at least large enough to reproduce a good chunk of your low end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
My singer has a literal 4" enclosure with a Bluetooth speaker inside that is probably 3 inch, it's amazing how much volume and low end that thing puts out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
I got a pair of mixcubes and one ns10 and this upsets me

There's more to why good mixes emerge from those two kinds of speakers than bass response.. but listening on all kinds of things in situ is wise.
Ben, Yup!

I was surprised too, and this wouldn't be for everyone. But it works.

I thought about a "before and after" example, but it would be so subjectivity that it wouldn't be of much use. I'd basically have to provide a whole song (or 3) from my last record, where I didn't use this speaker, and a whole song (or 3) from my new record, where I did use it.

And then when you notice that it absolutely does sound better, how to you factor in the issue of "I've gotten better at mixing from experience anyway since my last record."

Do you know that old joke,
Q. "How many producers does it take to change a light bulb?
A: I dunno. What do you think?

The first studio I ever recorded in was Hyde Street Studios in San Fransisco, Studio A.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyde_Street_Studios

That was 1987. I was the client, not the engineer.

(the old Wally Heider studio). That's a real studio where a lot of gold and platinum records have been made.

The engineer was Dave Bach, the guy who now makes the killer microphones.

They had FOUR sets of speakers, and the Neve desk was set up to switch between them:

-The giant "voice of god" 3-ways built into the wall (which were basically just for impressing the stoned client)

--Some smaller good mid level studio monitor speakers.

--Literally a set of Yamaha NS10 speakers

--A small crappy two-cassette boom box, that would have cost about 50 dollars back then. It had two probably 4-inch cheap paper speakers, which is likely about equivalent of the ones I'm suggesting here (since the manufacturing technology has gotten better), just that there were two of them, not one of them. But you could mono any of the speakers sets easily from the desk.

The point with having NO bass on the worst one is to replicate someone playing it on phone speakers.

All those great 70s albums, Bowie, Zeppelin, Stones, still sound great on an iPhone blasting out the speakers.

(Adding this info to my blog post.)

Last edited by BipTunia; 08-01-2019 at 06:14 PM.
BipTunia is offline   Reply With Quote