View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
soundguy84
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayknight87 View Post
I'm using a usb mixer and it does have an output for monitors. I would like to be able to use the same monitors for sound off my computer too. Perhaps I can send sound Pc > mixer > monitors? Would latency be an issue there?
I second Marked23's recommendation for an external audio interface. In lieu an external interface simply connect the line out of your sound card into a couple spare channels or a stereo input or tape in or whatever is you have available on your USB mixer. Depending on what inputs you want to use on your mixer you'll need an 1/8" to dual 1/4" or RCA or XLR cable to do this.

What's your budget for monitors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flareless View Post
Thanks for the input Ivan. I just discovered this morning that a local music store is now a Behringer dealer so I should be able to go hear some of their products early next month when they get their inventory. I live in the country so there isn't a huge selection of places with a lot of products in stock. I agree that there are a huge number of products available all priced aggressively. My choice of Mackie is mainly because I've been exposed to it.

I've investigated a P.A. alternative to speakers and am still keeping the option open. In addition to vocals and keyboards I'll also be mic'ing some amps. Just small amps which need a kick to let everyone here clearly. I like the idea of single lines out of the mixer to some speakers plugged into the wall rather than adding an amp into the mix as well. Still, as I said, I'm not hell bent on one method or other. I'm still getting started myself.

Thanks again!
Regarding your rehearsal setup: If you're wanting reinforcement of vocals, keys, and guitars and expect those to be heard over a full band then PA speakers are really your only option. That is what they're designed for. I do not suggest attempting this with studio monitors as that would put unnecessary strain on them from a stressful application they were not designed for.

Not sure what your budget is but check out self powered options from QSC, EV, Yamaha, Mackie etc...they all have competively priced speakers for this purpose.
soundguy84 is offline   Reply With Quote