View Single Post
Old 11-15-2016, 05:53 PM   #133
Tod
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by insub View Post
Is anyone using drum replacement?

I've had the worst time with these drums. I'm sure it's probably just my lack of experience and mixing skills, but I really do not like the way the drums were tracked on a lot of levels. If this were me mixing my own band I'd go ahead and replace some of the drums with samples, but I've been trying to avoid doing so in this contest for a couple of reasons:

1. I don't want to add to the upload/download files.
2. I want to learn from something from what I don't know how to deal with right away.

I'm really interested to see how some of you handled the drums in your mixes when this is over.
Yeah, the drums are less then ideal, but I think for something like this they are probably on par as average, and no I'm not using any drum replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I can't say I'm going overboard at all but I'd have a difficult time not trying to do a decent job for lack of a better term. I'm not spending lots of time editing etc. such as all those player flubs and groove flubs (I did fix one or two really annoying ones though). I basically mixed so it sounds like the way I mix - whatever that happens to be.

The eye-opener for me is I haven't mixed anything I didn't play 95% of the instruments on in years. Seems like that would be easier but it isn't because typically, if I hear a track I don't think fits soncially, I just replay the damn thing. Can't do that here.
Yeah I'm trying to mix so it sounds good to me too, but this kind of music is totally different from what I work with. I've been looking for some reference material, but since I don't really listen to this kind of thing, I don't have a clue where to look.

My situation is that nearly all my clients have been single artists for the last 15 to 20 years, and like you, I've created my own tracks.

I've also been dealing with some Reaper glitches and bugs. I spent at least two hours this morning trying to send a track to a reverb bus, very simple, but no matter what I did I couldn't get it to go to the reverb. Finally I just removed the send, reapplied it, and it worked just as it should.

Heh heh, the biggest problem I'm having is getting in compliance with the -0.5dB/-14.0LUFS thingy. I'm really glad you posted the Orban meter Karbo, but now it's driving me nuts.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote